NEWINGTON POLICE COMMISSION
There was a meeting of the Newington Police Commissioners on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. at the police department.
Prior to the meeting, with family and friends in attendance, Chief Bilodeau swore in Jessica Gregor as the new full-time patrol officer. Officer Gregor will continue attending the NHPS&TC part-time academy and at the end of April 2018 she will transition into the full-time academy. In the meantime, Officer Gregor will begin field training here at the police department.
PRESENT: Chairman Steven Prefontaine, Commissioner F. Jackson Hoyt, Chief Michael Bilodeau, Captain Michael Sullivan, and Diana St. Laurent. Selectman Latchaw attending the swearing in of Officer Gregor.
CALL TO ORDER
Chairman Prefontaine called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
1. On a MOTION by Commissioner Hoyt and seconded by Commissioner Prefontaine, the Commissioners voted to accept the minutes from the February 6, 2018 meeting as written.
2. There were no other minutes.
POLICE COMMISSION BUSINESS
Due to the fact that Mr. Latchaw was elected to be Selectman and there is a vacancy on the police commission, the election of officers has been postponed until a new commissioner is appointed by the Board of Selectmen.
A. Staff Update – New officer sworn in and Officer Appelbaum expected back from disability leave on or about April 2, 2018.
B. Other Police Commission Business –
- The Commissioners reviewed and signed the purchase order file.
- Budget Review – There was no print-out of the 2018 budget due to the new figures that need to be entered now that Town Meeting is over.
- The Chief told the Commissioners that the water pumps in two of the cruisers need to be replaced. This involves no less than 10 hours of labor per cruiser.
- The Chief told the Commissioners that 6 of the portable radios need to be replaced. The technology upgrade that Rockingham Dispatch went to has affected 6 of our older portables so the officers cannot transmit or hear RC dispatch. The Chief said that he was told by the Selectmen not to do a warrant article adding money to the Capital Reserve-Communications line item and now the cost to replace the portables is running in the area of approximately $2,200 each and there are no reserve funds for this purchase. Cpt. Sullivan said he is working with a technician from 2-Way Communications to get a quote for the radios. The Commissioners agreed that the Chief should do a letter to the Board of Selectmen and ask them for funding for the purchase of this necessary equipment.
- Town Meeting – The Chief said everything went smoothly for the police department.
- Other Old Business – None at this time.
- Suggestions for Police Commissioner – The Chief said that he knows of a couple of people in town who might be interested. The Chief said he will meet with both the individuals to gauge their interest in the open position. The Commissioners will also meet with the interested parties. The Commission will send its recommendation to the Selectmen.
RSA 91-A:3 II(c) Personnel Matter – not needed.
NEXT MEETING DATE/TIME/LOCATION
The next meeting of the Police Commissioners is scheduled for April 3, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
On a MOTION by Commissioner Hoyt and seconded by Commissioner Prefontaine, the meeting was adjourned at 4:35 p.m.
For Steven Prefontaine, Chairman
by Diana St. Laurent